Sunday, June 3, 2007

Take Two

About a year ago, I went to a singles dinner in town that involved people from Catholicmatch.com and people from FOCAS (the Fellowship of Catholic Adult Singles). I went to meet up with a guy I'd met through CM, but I met another guy there - Bobby. Bobby was a very pleasant, talkative guy, and I enjoyed chatting with him. We exchanged numbers and went out for coffee not long after. The coffee date went well, and we kept in touch. I invited him out to see a play at a local restaurant not long after, and he was game, so we made arrangements to meet.

The play started at 8, and they stopped serving food prior to the start of the show. Bobby had said he wasn't going to be able to make it there before 7:30 because of a meeting he had to get to beforehand, so I sent him the online menu and asked if he wanted me to order him something so it'd be there when he got there. He never answered as far as whether or not he was going to eat there, so I let it ride. I got down there around 7:15... I waited and waited to order food. He finally arrived about 5 minutes before the show started, and he told me that he'd already eaten, so I was pretty disgruntled that I'd waited. Anyway, the show started, and the first half was really entertaining. We ended up talking to one of the actor's families during the intermission, before we went outside for some fresh air. During the break, he revealed to me that the meeting he had been to was an AA meeting. I was flattered that he shared such a personal detail with me, and I also felt horrible for having ordered a glass of wine, but hey, I didn't know. We went back in for the second half and really enjoyed that as well. By the time the show was over, it was 11:15. We chatted a bit outside, and then started to part ways. He was parked in the garage across the street, and I was parked around the corner. He never offered to walk me to my car or anything, which I thought was rude. I mean, I'm not a frail woman or anything, but it was 11:15 at night, in downtown Lexington. Who knows who could have been waiting around the corner? I was kinda turned off by that point - not just because of that, but I really wasn't bowled over by him anyway. He's a nice guy, but not someone I'd dream about every night.

Fast forward to about a year later... last night I was at church, sorting out the money we received in the collection, and one of the women who had been at that dinner came in to talk to me. "You remember that guy you went to meet at that dinner last year... the one who worked for a bank? Well, he's interested. He asked me about you." "Oh, really... let me tell you a story." I relayed the story, and she said, "So, you don't want me to give him your number?" I said, "Oh, you can, I guess... what the heck. He should still have it - I still have his." So, who knows if he'll call, or if anything will transpire. I may be setting myself up to have to reject him, or maybe things will be different. I guess it never hurts to try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I'm just wondering something...if he's in AA can he take communion at mass?

Danamite said...

I guess he can take the bread, but not the wine, necessarily.