Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's better to be looked over...

I've been meaning to post another entry for a week now, but it always got too late in the evening by the time I thought about it. Not that anyone's missing them. I think I'm the only one who pays attention to these entries. Anyway, what originally made me want to post an entry was something that happened to me on the way to meet Dad so we could drive home last Friday. I was walking behind this chick, probably in her mid-20's, wearing an A-line skirt and heels (and this dumb coat with buttons down the back... but I digress). She was on her phone and was presumably oblivious to her surroundings. I spotted a guy walking toward us. As I typically do, I looked at him to sort of assess whether or not I thought he was the type of person to make eye contact and smile. He didn't even look at me - his eyes were glued on the chick on the phone. It's not like she was a supermodel or anything, but compared to schlumpy old me, I guess she was just as good as one. As we got to the intersection of Vine and Upper, I saw a guy getting ready to cross in the opposite direction. I did the same assessment, and he did the same thing as the other guy, only he blatantly looked her up and down. I'm talkin' head movements and everything. I was totally offended on her part, because had it been me, the flattering feeling would have been overridden by the feminist, "I'm not a piece of ass" thought. But I'm sure she didn't even notice - she was too busy on her phone!

Mae West said, "I'd rather be looked over than overlooked." OK, yeah, I guess I would rather be considered "worthy" enough to be ogled (and not by creepy guys who STARE in pubs), and it'll be a while before I feel like I'm at that point. I seem to respond better to negative stimuli than I do to positive ones. I'm still meditating on this experience, trying to soak out more inspiration. But now that it's documented, maybe I'll have better luck.

No comments: